I turned to creative writing as a hobby in 2008 before combining those interests with my career by undertaking an Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing.
After more than 25 years of experience in business administration, documentation analysis and management, including some TAFE teaching and integration aide work at both primary and secondary schools, I began freelancing as an editor and documentation specialist in 2014. My experience, particularly that in the education sector, helps me remain open-minded in understanding the needs of my clients in a respectful and encouraging manner.
I aim to present a holistic and practical approach when working with clients, whether they be first-time authors or not. In all instances, understanding a client’s goal and helping them achieve their best work and representation of themselves is what counts.
As one who ‘dabbles’ in writing, I understand editing from a writer’s perspective and the nuances required for the various genres in fiction and narrative non-fiction.
Overall, I endeavour to provide assistance and considered suggestions in a professional, yet nurturing way, noting that each client has a different set of needs. Assisting clients with their writing is paramount to allowing them achieve and present the best possible outcome, whether it be for personal purposes or the submission of work to a publisher or agent.
As a freelance documentation specialist, editor and proofreader, my experience includes working on:
- genre manuscripts—crime, science fiction, fantasy, historical, romance, literary fiction, young adult, children’s
- non-fiction manuscripts—cooking/recipes, history, memoir, family trees/family stories
- technical documents—pathology/IT user manuals, aeronautical curriculum manuals, engineering Occupational Health & Safety manuals, operation and maintenance manuals and training manuals
- business documents—letters, minutes, memos, templates, job applications and resumes.
My qualifications include:
- Assoc Degree PWE, RMIT
- Dip Mgmt, University of Ballarat
- Dip Bus Admin, University of Ballarat
- Cert IV TAE, Box Hill Institute
- Cert III Small Bus Mgmt, University of Ballarat.
I am currently enrolled to commence an online Diploma of Family History in 2021 with the University of Tasmania.
- Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd)—Professional Member
- Life Stories Australia—Allied Member
- Australian Society of Authors—Full Member
- Writers Victoria—Member
- ACES, The Society for Editing—Full Member
http://iped-editors.org/ (Find an Editor)
Photo © Claire Pitcher Photography